Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Firsts 19 – UCC 19


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians Firsts 19 - UCC 19
  • Venue: Mardyke, Cork on Sat Feb 16th 2013
  • Competition: AIL Division 2A

Match Report

Galwegians charge up the table in their chase for promotion hit a bit of a bump on a breezy but mild day in Cork on Saturday. Both sides served up a high quality affair but they could not be separated and had to share the spoils.

Wegians played into a stiffening breeze in the first half. They controlled the ball well in the initial stages of the match but they could not break a resolute UCC defense.

Both defenses were proving intractable as both teams worked hard to work the first score.

That first score went to the students when they caught the Wegians defense napping by taking a quick tap penalty on halfway and outflanking the covering defense.  28 mins 7-0

Wegians were unfazed by this setback and went rumbling upfield. They applied serious pressure on the UCC line but the home side held them out initially.  The sky blues continued to increase the pressure and the students were reduced to 14 men when they collapsed a rolling maul. Wegians scrum then marched UCC backwards and a penalty try was awarded as the scrum splintered. 33 mins 7-7.

The halftime whistle brought an entertaining first half to a close with the sides level at 7 points each.

Wegians started the 2nd half well and almost took the lead when flanker Ivan Muldoon blocked down an attempted clearance but the ball beat him to the dead ball line as he scrambled after the blockdown.

The students appeared to have survived the early second half onslaught from the Galway team but a brilliant interception from fullback Tadhg Leader put them in front for the first time. 55 mins 7-14.

The quality of the match was still at a high level as the students came thundering back into the game. Their constant probing and proding eventually gave them the break they were looking for as a mistake by the Wegians defense allowed them to draw level. 62 mins 14-14

The students kept the pace of the game high and took the lead as they forced yet another defensive error. 68 mins 19 - 14.

Wegians showed huge character and determination to wrest the momentum back in their favour as they took control of the closing minutes of the game. Their belief and persistence was rewarded with a minute left on the clock. After numerous recycles, that saw the ball swing from one side of the field to another, lock Anthony Ryan crashed over in the corner to draw the sides level. 79 mins 19-19

The final whistle ended proceedings with neither side particularly pleased or disappointed as with 5 games left promotion is still a possibility for both sides.



15 T Leader, 14 C Conroy, 13 B Murphy, 12 G O'Brien, 11 J Cleary, 10 D Clarke, 9 B Lee, 1 J Naughton, 2 C Muldoon, 3 J East, 4 A Ryan, 5 J Gardiner, 6 R Fitzgearld, 7 I Muldoon, 8 E Rooney. Substitutes: 16 P Griffin, 17 E Earle, 18 C O’Rourke, 19 D Leader, 20 P Hackett

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑