Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Firsts 12 – Buccaneers 16


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians Firsts 12 - Buccaneers 16
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sat Oct 7th 2006
  • Competition: Connacht Senior Cup

Match Report

Galwegians suffered a disappointing Connacht Senior Cup Final defeat at the hands of Buccaneers at the Sportsground on Saturday in their final run-out before the AIB League kick-off on October 14.

Having seen off Buccs twice in the Senior League, Wegians went into this game in expectant mood, and all seemed to be going reasonably to plan in the first half. Playing with a strong breeze, the Buccs took a 6-0 lead in the opening quarter courtesy of two Tom Cregan penalties. But Wegians struck what seemed a decisive blow on 24 minutes when new signing from St. Mary's, Conor McPhillips, skinned his Connacht team-mate Ted Robinson on the left, and after chipping ahead, he was obstructed by Robinson which led to a penalty try being awarded by referee Roy Gibson. Paddy O'Toole converted for a 7-6 lead. However just before the break Wegians conceded a penalty in their 22 and when Buccs kicked to the corner, Wegians were unable to defend a well-worked line-out maul, with Adrian Hanley getting the touchdown for an unconverted try and an 11-7 half-time lead.

The Blues seemed poised to regain the upper hand playing with the elements, but they never really got going in the second period. They will rue their tactical approach, failing to kick to the corners to set up territory on several occasions. Despite impressive performances from McPhillips, full-back Dave Slemen and some neat flashes of skill from center Nick Wakley, their talented backline always threatened but never quite sparked into action. Having weathered the storm in the third quarter, Buccs gained confidence and capitalised on some Wegians ill-discipline by foraging forward. Then on 65 minutes Connacht winger Robinson redeemed himself when he got on the end of another lineout maul on the right to score the vital second try and give Buccs a 16-7 lead.

All Wegians could manage was an injury-time opportunistic try from centre Anthony Barrett who capitalised on scrum-half Mark Bruce's error, and although Slemen's conversion attempt was controversially ruled wide, it mattered little as the full-time whistle sounded soon after to result in a win for Buccs.


D Slemen, C McPhillips, N Wakely, A Barrett, K Hickman, P O’Toole, L Stringer, D O’Brien, J Naughton, R Davies, D Boyd, L Harvey, B O’Connor, A McGettigan, A Conboy. Subs: P Durcan for O’Toole, half-time; L Scahill for Boyd, 58 mins; D. O'Connell for O’Brien, 58 mins; M Swift for O’Connor, 58 mins; T Ellard for Stringer, 61 mins; C Muldoon for Naughton, 66 mins.

Match Notes

Galwegians Scorers: Tries: Penalty try, Anthony Barrett; Conversion: Paddy O'Toole. Buccaneers squad: P Warwick; T Robinson, A Hayman, W Wallace, T Cregan; D Connellan, M Bruce; B Gilligan, G Halligan, K O’Neill; P Cunningham, D Kelly; C Finnerty, C Hartigan, A Hanley. Replacements: N O’Hara for Warwick, half-time; A Wynne for Connellan, half-time; M Madden for Halligan 62 mins; A Hughes for Finnerty, 75 mins. Referee: R Gibson

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑