Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Firsts 14 – Blackrock 17


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians Firsts 14 - Blackrock 17
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sat Feb 16th 2008
  • Competition: AIL Division 1

Match Report

A late Fionn Carr try saw Blackrock snatch the points against an unlucky Galwegians at Crowley Park. The hosts had much the better of the opening half and were well worth their 9-0 lead after three early Liam Bibo penalties. Indeed they should have been further ahead but failed to convert some clear-cut try-scoring opportunities in the opening quarter where they lorded both territory and possession.

However Rock struck a crucial blow just before the half-hour with the first try of the game, which was totally against the run of play. It came from only their second meaningful attack, and when the platform was created by the hard yards and graft of his forward pack, out-half Kyle Tennetti managed to ground the ball near the posts, with full-back Fionn Carr landing the simple conversion to reduce arrears to 9-7.

However Wegians responded well and just before half-time they eventually pierced the Rock rearguard when captain Louie Tonkin crossed in the corner following some excellent work by winger John Cleary. Bibo was unlucky when his well-struck conversion sailed inches wide of the upright. Rock did have one more scoring opportunity before the break but Carr was wide with a penalty attempt from the 10m. line, meaning Wegians held a 14-7 advantage at the break.

The Blues missed a chance early in the second-half to go further in front and put some daylight between the sides after an excellent break by Pate Tuilevaka, only for Bibo’s final pass to be intercepted. Rock got more into the game and dominated territory, but the Wegians defence was holding firm. However Carr found his range with a close-in penalty on the hour, reducing the margin to four points. And just when it looked like the Blues would hold out for victory, a late penalty saw the visitors kick to the corner. And although the line-out maul was repelled, when the ball was spun wide, that man Carr took the ball at pace and broke through to score the winning try under the posts, adding the conversion for good measure.

Galwegians went in search of a dramatic late victory, and just when Tuilevaka looked like making the breakthrough, referee Lacey ruled him offside and ended Wegians’ chances. So the Glenina outfit had to be content with a losing bonus point. Next up for Wegians is a home quarter-final against Malone on Saturday Feb. 23, before facing a crucial away League game to Old Belvedere on March 1st.


L. Bibo, J. Cleary, T. Fletcher, B. Sweeney, A. Tuilevaka, P. Durcan, R. Shaw, B. McGovern, J. Merrigan, J. Stephens; A. Browne, L. Tonkin (c), M. Webdale, I. Muldoon, L. Casserly. Replacements: John Lyne (55 min), C. Muldoon (75 min), B. McGovern (65 min), B. McClearn (temp sub 65 min).

Match Notes

Galwegians Scorers: Try: Louie Tonkin; Penalties: Liam Bibo (3); Louie Tonkin (try). Blackrock Scorers: Tries: Kyle Tonnetti, Fionn Carr; Penalty: Fionn Carr; Conversions:Fionn Carr (2). Ref. John Lacey (Munster).

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑