Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Firsts 15 – Young Munster 12


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians Firsts 15 - Young Munster 12
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sat Jan 2nd 2016
  • Competition: AIL Division 1A

Match Report

Galwegians made it three wins on the bounce when they won in dramatic fashion with a last-gasp try to deny their visitors Young Munster in a pulsating contest at Crowley Park on Saturday.

As the corresponding fixture in early December was postponed due to the bad weather, both sides were relatively ring-rusty after a period of five weeks without competitive League action. In truth it showed early on with errors abounding throughout, with poor handling and decision-making affecting the hosts in particular. The visitors came into this game on the back of a four-game winning streak, and although they made the livelier start, it was the hosts who opened the scoring in the fifth minute. It followed some pressurised defence by the Wegians’ backline, and when an attempted chip through was blocked, left-wing Ed O’Keeffe latched onto the loose ball. The former Young Munster man displayed some excellent control and footwork to hack on three times before gathering and diving over near the left-corner for the game’s opening try.

Another former Munsters man, Wegians’ out-half Shane O’Leary was off target with the difficult conversion. Undaunted by the early setback, the Cookies took up where they left off and went on the offensive. Wegians were starting to get on the wrong side of referee Nigel Correll, especially at the breakdown, and Munsters’ centre Gearoid Lyons soon opened their account with his first shot at the posts in the 11th minute to make it 5-3.

The ever-mounting penalty count looked like being costly for the hosts, but a key turning point came on 15 minutes when another penalty at the breakdown was reversed against the visitors following the intervention of the referee’s assistant. This led to the harsh sin-binning of Munsters second-row Mike Madden in what seemed a case of mistaken identity. The Blues took full advantage when the penalty kick to the corner set up a text-book lineout maul, with blindside flanker Marc Kelly getting on the end of the forward rumble to score try number two. O’Leary was again off-target with the conversion attempt, leaving the hosts 10-3 to the good.

The visitors then went on the attack again at the start of the second quarter, and when Wegians no. 8 Anthony Ryan was binned for taking out a jumper in the air, they smelt blood. They looked certain to score when their dominant scrum set up a series of pick and goes near the hosts’ try-line, only for desperate Blues defence to keep them at bay. Munsters settled instead for a three-pointer courtesy of a drop-goal from out-half Diarmuid O’Hanlon.

Despite struggling in the scrums where the visitors were clearly dominant, Wegians had the greater potency in attack. However their clinical finishing in the first quarter suddenly deserted them as they spurned at least two glorious try-scoring chances before the break to put them in a commanding position, with the final pass not going to hand. Indeed it was the visitors who had the final say of the opening half when Lyons struck his second penalty to leave the narrowest of margins at half-time with the Blues 10-9 to the good.

Wegians made the better start to the second-half, however decision-making was again hampering them, including one key decision in the 46th minute when they turned down a very kickable penalty to go for the corner. However a determined Cookies defence turned them over and relieved the pressure. The visitor’s ascendancy in the set-piece was giving them a constant platform, and when some sloppy handling in the Wegians backline saw them cough up a scrum near their line, it led to another penalty under the posts on the hour-mark. Although he was short minutes beforehand with a long-range effort, Lyons made no mistake this time to put his side in front for the first time at 12-10.

With coaches Matt Brown and David Corkery both ringing the changes from the bench, the game was now delicately poised entering the closing stages. Particularly influential for Wegians were substitute out-half Aidan Moynihan who started to gain some promising territory with judicious line-kicking, and replacement hooker Juan Anaya who was prominent in the loose and unerring with his darts. It seemed a case of who wanted it most would claim the spoils, and this is where the hosts came up trumps. Not for the first time this season the Blues dug deep, and spurred on by inspirational leadership from captain Ja Naughton who led tirelessly from the front, they took the game to their opponents.

With the game entering stoppage time, they duly earned their just rewards when a lineout maul was eventually finished off by flanker Kelly who once again profited from the trojan efforts of his pack to ground the winning score near the right-hand corner. Unfortunately a fracas in the immediate aftermath led to the sin-binning of Wegians substitute prop Doran McHugh and the dismissal of Young Munster hooker and captain Ger Slattery. Referee Correll also awarded Wegians a penalty from the restart, and this allowed the Blues close out the game on the attack to seal a hard-earned four points.

This vital win sees the Blues move up to eighth place in the League table as they overtake Terenure College. Next up for the Blues is an away trip to face a resurgent bottom-placed Ballynahinch in Co. Down next Saturday as they seek to make it three consecutive League wins in Division 1a.


Galwegians: Ciaran Gaffney; John Cleary, Cormac Brennan (sub: Api Phewhairangi), Brian Murphy, Ed O’Keeffe; Shane O’Leary (sub: Aidan Moynihan), Caolin Blade; Ja Naughton (capt.), Jack Dinneen (sub: Juan Anaya), Jason East (sub: Doron McHugh), Peter Claffey, Marty Cummins; Marc Kelly, Paul Hackett (sub: Matt Towey), Anthony Ryan.

Match Notes

Ref: Nigel Correll (IRFU)

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑