Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Firsts 22 – St Marys College 30


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians Firsts 22 - St Marys 30
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sat Jan 19th 2013
  • Competition: Bateman Cup

Match Report

Galwegians and St. Mary's served up an absolute cracker of a semi-final in cold but excellent conditions for rugby in Crowley Park on Sat.

Wegians started well but were unable to put points on the board. They were punished when St. Marys scored with a breakaway try. 10 mins 0-7.

The Sky Blues continued to put pressure on the visitors up front but were struggling to live with the pace that St. Mary's were putting on the ball. Mary's stretched their lead with a second converted try, following another break out of defense. 20 mins 0-14.

The home side refused to panic and got a well earned try off a solid forward platform. The pack drove downfield from an attacking  lineout, the backs moved the ball to the blindside, from the ensuing ruck Paddy Finn took a superb line to score on his return from injury. 30 mins 5-14.

Spurred on by the score and the dominance of the forwards, the home side pushed for a score before halftime. It duly arrived when the forwards drove a rolling maul off a 5-metre lineout over the line and prop Jason East claimed the touchdown. Half-time 12-14.

St. Mary's started the scoring in the second half with a penalty after Wegians lost the ball at a defensive lineout. 42 mins 12-17.

Wegians spent the next 10 minutes in the St. Mary's half but were too profligate with their opportunities to score. Once again St. Marys made them pay. They relieved the pressure and from a 5-metre lineout got a mauling try of their own. 55 mins 12 - 24.

The home team showed the pride they have in their jersey by working their way back into the game. They were helped by the sin-binning of a St. Mary's second row on 65 mins. With the extra man in the pack, the forwards earned a penalty try as they marched the visitors backwards in the scrum. 67 mins 19-24.

Wegians piled on the pressure as they tried to make the extra man count, but excellent St. Mary's defense kept them at bay.

St. Mary's showed why they were crowned Div 1A champions last season as they scored a penalty to make it a 2 score game with 7  minutes left. Each time they got a scoring opportunity, they took it. 73 mins 19 - 27

The Sky Blues upped the tempo and with 3 minutes left on the clock they kicked a penalty that brought them back to within one score. 77 mins 22 - 27.

However St. Mary's forced a mistake out of the determined home side and killed the game with a last minute penalty. 79 mins 22 - 30

Galwegians showed that they can live with a team of the quality of St. Mary's College from the top division and they need to  bring that to their remaining league games as they fight for promotion. Full-time Galwegians 22 St. Mary's College 30


15 J Cleary, 14 P Finn, 13 B Murphy, 12 G O'Brien, 11 C Conroy (capt), 10 D Clarke, 9 B Lee, 1 J Naughton, 2 C Muldoon, 3 J East, 4 A Ryan, 5 B McClearn, 6 R Fitzgearld, 7 I Muldoon, 8 E Rooney 16 T Leader, 17 R Burke, 18 G Brady, 19 P Griffin, 20 E Earle, 21 E Tarmey, 22 K O'Shea

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑