Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

Mens U20s 33 – Dublin University 12


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians U20 33 - Dublin University 12
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sun Nov 14th 2021
  • Competition: JP Fanagan U20 League Premier 2

Match Report

Galwegians’ young guns consolidated their league standing, with a title charge not out of the picture after a second half blitz of Dublin University. A bonus point win was the icing on the cake, but it was a cake that had been baked long in advance of the game’s conclusion.

An error-ridden first quarter was fairly even, and a seemingly unassuming scrum fittingly led to the game’s first score. Kascper Palarmczuk picked off a scrum on the ‘Wegians ’22, but his attempt to release his scrum-half was read like a book by the opposition nine, who ran in under the posts to open the scoring.

The lead was taken against the run of play, and ‘Wegians set about reducing the deficit. Jack Beatty’s two penalty efforts were both off the mark, before he made it his task to make amends. The home side’s call to go for the corner was justified when the ball was played off the top of a solid lineout. Quick hands in the backs then allowed Beatty to dive over in the corner.

With the game tied, DUFC struggled to gain a stronghold. The visitors’ well drilled backline struggled to get on the ball in ‘Wegians territory, even when ‘Wegians were reduced down a man after receiving a yellow card in the 32nd minute. Indeed, they would see out that period without conceding.

Indeed, it would be ‘Wegians who grabbed the next score in the form of a James Deacy penalty, who had taken over the kicking duties. Blues had their foot on the throat, and Andrew Sherlock exemplified it with a clever quick tap. When he was grasped a matter of inches from the line, Deacy followed in to score and extend the lead to 13-7.

Luke Hurson was the next man on penalty duties, and he got his name on the scoresheet with a nicely judged three-pointer. The game then opened up, and a last-ditch DUFC effort to prevent a try led to an intentional knock on. The referee decided he had no option but to award a penalty try, and ‘Wegians had their third try of the day.

The game headed into its’ final five minutes, but there was still plenty more action to come. A consolation try for the visitors sandwiched a double for winger Ciarán Ó Flaithearta, whose first sealed the bonus point in a flowing move.

The second, coming in the 79th minute, sealed the finish his side’s second half performance deserved as they reignited their charge at a league title in the JP Fanagan Premier 2.


1. Gary Lally 2. Dylan Keane 3. Conor Joyce 4. Matas Saduaskas 5. Hugh Duffy 6. Mark O’Connor 7. Will Sparrow 8. Kacper Palarmarczuk 9. Andrew Sherlock 10. James Deacy 11. Ciaran O’Flaithearta 12. Zak Rather 13. Jason O’Brien 14. Luke Hurson 15. Jack Beatty Subs: Cosmin Andrin, Nicky Pfeiffer, Marcus Lowry, George Hill, Paul Butler, Adam Lambkin, Kelvin Langan

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑