Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

U15s 41 – Ballinasloe 15


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians U15 41 - Ballinasloe 15
  • Venue: Ballinasloe RFC on Sat Mar 30th 2019
  • Competition: Connacht U15 Cup

Match Report

After the opening exchanges play began to settle in Wegians favour as they began to dominate the collisions and were carrying the ball with intent.

The first push into the opposition half came from a clever kick and chase form Eoghan Harlowe which led to numerous phases of attack. Ballinasloe repelled the moves until fourteen minutes when Wegian's won a lineout. Jack Lynott jumped highest and tapped to David Kelly and from the ensuing ruck a pre-arranged move saw the quick thinking Colin Counihan dip up the arm of his teammate to snipe around the corner and sprint from the line twelve meters away. There was no stopping him and Wegians had the all-important lead. 5-0. Sadly from that angle the conversion was missed.

Straight from the kick off Wegians held the ball well and moved it from right to left and Callum Brown stepped between two defenders into space. He managed to move with pace on the left side of the field as the defenders perused and then he turned on the after burners as he carried for forty yards to touch down for a try. 0-10 and Wegians were flying. Conversion missed.

Ballinasloe would not lie down that easily and back they came as they edged closer to the Wegians 22 they forced a number of consecutive fouls. The ref awarded them a penalty in front of the posts and they converted to make it 3-10.

Ballinasloe were contesting well now and the game was open and attacking but it was Wegians who made the next decisive move Hugh Gavin made some forward yards which in turn saw a perfect pass from Harry Walsh to the hands of Callum Brown, he produced a beautiful show and go to the three men who were on his outside, he stepped between two defenders and sprinted for the line again. He did gain thirty meters but this time the covering tackle got him seven meters short. Callum kept the play alive as he went to ground he offloaded to his support players and Eoghan Harlowe powered home to make it 3-15. Colin Counihan converted and Wegians were in a comfortable position leading 3-17.

From the re-start Galwegians were at it again, Matthiu O'Toole took the ball on his knees and gained some yards with a man on fire roll, Harry stepped past one player and played it to Aidan who repeated the exercise and once again Callum picked up the ball in his own half, he cleverly stepped inside and out and sprinted away from the defenders. He always had enough pace to stay ahead of the chasing pack and touched down under the posts to give Wegians their fourth try. Colin converted to make it 3-24 with five minutes of the half to go.

Ballinasloe fought bravely and built a concerted period of pressure in the Wegians twenty two, Jack Lynott was given a soft yellow card for what looked like a good tackle. The Ref deemed he lifted the player over the horizontal and Jack would have to spend seven minutes in the bin. Five phases later the Ballinasloe number eight dived over the line to score their first try which was duly converted to make the halftime score 10-24

The first ten minutes of the second half was very even with both teams having a go to get on top but it was Wegians who struck first as the minutes ticked by. Jack Lynott made five yards as he advanced into the Ballinasloe twenty two and from that ruck a brilliant dummy run from Bobby Power on the left took the opposition attention away from the quick pass to Aidan Crowe on the right who used his power to carry for eight yards to the line and touch down for a try. Wegians were 10-29 ahead. The conversion was missed.

The home team continued to battle and were awarded a controversial try after it appeared that their player had stepped into touch before he touched down. The ref looked at the local linesman who said the try was good. 15-29 the conversion was missed.

Wegians fought on looking for more tries and from a ruck ten meters out Aidan Crowe picked from the base and powered his way over the line for a try despite the efforts of their number twelve. Wegians had increased their lead 15-34. Fabien Fleetwood easily converted to make the score line 15-36.

Wegians continued to pressure the home team and Callum Brown cut back against the play and touched down on the left by the flag to give Wegians their seventh try. 15-41. Fabien Fleetwood converted superbly to bring the game to an end 15-43.

Despite being ill Callum Brown scored three tries and was awarded the Man of the Match.

Wegians will now meet Corinthians in the final on Sunday 14th of April in the Sportsground.

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑