Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

U20s 27 – North Kildare 17


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians U20 27 - North Kildare 17
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sun Apr 16th 2017
  • Competition:

Match Report

Easter Sunday saw the U20's side line out against North Kildare RFC in their Leinster Cup Quarter Final at Glenina.

After a high tempo start with both sides testing each other the game finally settled down with the home side enjoying most of the possession and making many visits to the opposition half. On 19 minutes Joshua Hays opened the score for Wegian's with a crashing break through the tiring defensive line and Peadar O'Beirn converted with ease for a 7-0 lead.

The restart ball was caught by Terry Abayoni deep in his own half and a great burst of pace and well timed offload to winger Cillian Breathnach on the opposition 10 metre line left an easy run in for the score under the posts with Peadar O'Beirn again converting for a 14-0 lead.

On 26 mins North Kildare were penalised for offside and Peadar O'Beirn made a difficult kick with a strong crosswind look very easy. 17-0 Wegian's.

Wegian's were soon down to 14 when Finin O'Fatharta was harshly yellow carded for a ruck infringement when the ball looked to be available but the boy's easily managed to keep the opposition at bay with some excellent communication and defensive work bringing us to half time with a clean sheet.

From the restart the Wegian's forwards worked their magic with three great offloading passes to get the ball to winger Kevin McDonnell who charged down the left wing and produced a fabulous kick/chase. With the ball travelling towards the posts Kevin out paced the North Kildare defence and rounded off a brilliant passage of play with a diving touchdown under the posts. Peadar O'Beirn again converted, 24-0.

North Kildare responded on 44 minutes with an excellent driving maul and their number 13 ran in unopposed under the posts. 24-7

The next 10 minutes saw some great defensive work for Wegian's as the opposition upped their game and tested us with some hard tackles and some well placed kicking too. Wegian's were awarded a penalty on 58 mins and Peadar O'Beirn once again split the posts, 27-7.

North Kildare managed to score 2 late tries in the closing minutes of the game to leave the final score at 27-17 but it was a case of too little too late as the final whistle blew.

This team continues to impress with both their work rate and skills a joy to watch with every member of the squad giving their all time after time.

An away semi-final trip over the May Bank Holiday weekend to Dublin opposition is next up.

Congrats to both the players and coaching team and good luck in the Semi.

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑