Towards a century at the heart of Connacht rugby

U21s 50 – Bruff 3


Match Result

  • Result: Galwegians U21 50 - Bruff 3
  • Venue: Crowley Park on Sat Nov 12th 2011
  • Competition: SW Conference League

Match Report

On a perfect day for rugby Galwegians U21s produced some scintillating rugby when running in 8 tries against a very rusty Bruff team who had their first outing of the season.

Wegians started the game by giving away a plethora of penalties as they were too exuberant in the ruck and maul area. Bruff got the first points of the game on 10 mins when they converted a long range penalty attempt and only narrowly missed from a second a few minutes later.

The home side knuckled down and cut out the penalties. The pack started to monster the scrums. The pressure from the pack eventually allowed the backline sweep the ball wide through the backs for fullback Gary O’Brien to dot down in the right corner for a 5-3 lead midway through the first half.

The packs dominance was increasing and after a number of 5 metre scrums scored in the left corner when scrumhalf Marcus Walsh burrowed his way through the Bruff defense, Darragh Leader converted to give Weigans a 12-3 lead.

The Sky Blues immediately attack from the kick-off and rampage down the field but knock the ball on just before the line. However the scrums are now owned by the home team and they turn the ball over and swing the ball to the right for wing Paddy Finn to score in the corner, 17-3.

With half-time approaching Wegians spread the ball from one wing to the other with both backs and forwards handling beautifully before Finn eventually was set free to score the bonus point try to the right of the posts, Leader converts to give a half time score of 24-3.

Following a fiery teamtalk at half-time from the stand in coaching team about not dropping standards the home side started the second half like a train and after some well executed off-loads O’Brien sliced through the visitors to score under the posts to extend the lead to 31-3.

Bruff were really struggling with the pace of the game as Wegians cranked up the pressure which led to the 6th try of the match coming from 2nd row Aidan O’Sullivan, 38-3.

The next score was probably the most extravagant of the match as prop Martin Fox roared for Leader to set him free as he took a cracking line, Leader lofted a delicate cross kick for Finn to steal in between 2 defenders and catch on the full before touching down for his hat-trick, Fox was disgusted, 45-3.

The last play of the game saw Wegians finish off the game in style as the ball was expertly moved between backs and forwards before hooker Callum O’Connell crashed over from about a yard, or in front row terms, half the length of the pitch, to give a final score of 50-3.

© 2024 Galwegians RFC

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑